Wednesday, November 21, 2007

On Late November...

The difficult part about maintaining a blog throughout the November lull is... well, the lull. Nothing happens in November for students--unless you count the annual breakout of the study sweatpants. There is, of course, an increase in coffee consumption and repetitive stress injuries due to essay writing. My personal favourite is what I like to call writer's elbow--something to do with typing for hours on end. Others include the nasty headache students get from repeatedly hitting their heads against the desk (often around four in the morning) and paper cuts--fucking research papers.
Since nothing is happening of any interest (I'm not writing about the writing I'm doing for my other classes) I will write about nothing in particular.

I think the November issue of Spin Magazine is particularly good. Excellent article on the Foo Fighters. The Spin 20 is especially funny considering I normally laugh at exactly none of them and this time I lol-ed at 3. My fave, and I quote, is: "Diplo remixes The Decemberists Nothing gets the club bangin' like a kickass wheel-fiddle solo" Anyhoo.. go pick it up on your next run out to the corner Starbucks. You can read it during your fifteen minute breaks from reading.

It's disconcerting that it hasn't snowed yet. I don't want another brown Christmas. It has been pointed out to me that Eggnog is back on the shelves. This is good. I noticed the Christmas tree 'stores' are setting up shop. This is also good. My newspaper is significantly denser due to all the Christmas flyers that are shoved in the middle fold. This is not so good. (Clearly trees are the big losers around Christmas time.) The point is Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!

I was talking to one of my youth at the YC about their English class. The whole class had to do a research project on a famous Prairie author. I noted that the choices must have been limited. She said that there were lots. I asked her for her definition of famous. She said published. I'm a famous prairie author.

I haven't bought a new CD in awhile. I should do that. Musicworld closed, in yet another blow to the music industry. And Wal-Mart is reducing its floor space dedicated to CD sales, which, of course, has the labels shouting 'apocalypse now!' Which raises the question: What's the plural of apocalypse? (I stole that from a Buffy episode--since this is for school I feel like I should cite it, though I'd normally let you 'get the reference.')
I find this amusing. It's like in scary movies when the Big Bad Guy twists the head off one of his minions and everybody is all shocked because that minion had done such good work in the past for the Big Bad Guy. The moral here is that if you chose the wrong side, at some point during the movie your head is going to end up on the floor rolling away from your body. (And people say Film Studies has no useful purpose!)
I, personally, can't get on the online buying boat. I get that you're paying for the artist's hard work and dedication but my materialness feels like it's paying of nothing. Plus I like cover art. Here's hoping there is always some kind of concrete format.
Anyway, someone can tell the Foo Fighters and Raine Maida that they get my money next--just as soon as I make some.

Cold air is leaking through my window. I need to get that fixed. I can feel it fall down on me as I sit at my computer.

I'm seeing Stars tonight so I better go get my hipster on. Enjoy the study coma--it only happens twice a year (three times if you take summer session.)

No comments: